Ep.52 How to take control of your artistic visions and be true to yourself with Laurel Thomsen and Dan Frechette
Have you ever wondered how to take control of your artistic visions and be true to yourself?
This week I speak with Laurel Thomsen and Dan Frechette who are touring Canadian American Roots-Folk Duo musicians.
Laurel and Dan met by chance when Dan noticed Laurel’s incredible talent on YouTube and approached her to collaborate.
They began to create incredible music together and continue to be fueled by a once in a lifetime musical chemistry and friendship.
Today, whether they are performing in Northern California or on the road in various tour stops around the globe, it’s clear that they have created an incredible relationship that goes beyond their music.
Listen on to find out how to share your artistic visions and be true to yourselves.
In this Episode:
- How Dan found Laurel through YouTube which led to them collaborating as musicians.
- How they knew each other through their music before ever meeting one another.
- What inspired Dan and Laurel to become musicians from an early age.
- How Laurel started teaching music online and how it helped her earn income while touring with her band all over the world.
- Why you may spend more time promoting your work than creating music as an independent talent.
- How to book gigs as a musician and where to find venues who will be more open to your music style.
- The biggest setback you will encounter as a musician is aging- however creativity doesn’t get old, even if we do.
- How to take control of your artistic visions and be true to yourselves.
- The worst advice that Dan and Lauren have ever received has been to join American Idol, The Voice, and go to Nashville to have a successful music career.
- Why music can become contrived and the importance of sharing your own unique voice to the world.
- The most important thing is to create work that you are passionate about, not what you are expected to create.
- Why you should always have control over your artistic visions and not cloud it with fame and money.
- Realize that you may have already made your dreams come true.
- Why you should only compete with yourself and not focus a lot of your energy on others.
- The importance of wearing many hats in order to create a steady stream of income in the music industry.
- Living within your means in order to create a sustainable lifestyle for your self in any industry.
- The legacy Dan and Laurel want to be remembered for is their songs, music and teaching.
- Dan and Laurel wished they would get asked more questions about the inspiration of their songs and the meaning of the lyrics.
Click here to get the extended interview with Laurel Thomsen and Dan Frechette on how to maintain a productive schedule as a creative freelancer
Follow Lauren and Dan: