Ep. 22 How to budget and hustle as a freelance travel writer with Meagan Drillinger
How to budget and hustle as a freelance travel writer with Meagan Drillinger
This week, I talk to Meagan Dillinger who is a travel writer and founder of Vaera Journeys about how to budget and hustle as a freelance travel writer.
After working as a Travel writer right out of college, Meagan knew that a full time writing position was not the right path for her, so in 2009 she traded in her cubicle for a chance to live and work from anywhere as a freelance travel writer.
Since deciding to be location independent, Meagan has worked with Thrillist, Travel & Leisure, Time Out New York, Men’s Health, Conde Nast Traveler, Harpers Bazaar and so much more!
Meagan has recently created and founded a company with her best friend Vaera Journeys, which is a retreat travel company for entrepreneurial women that combines inspiring women to start their own businesses with transformation through travel.
On this episode Meagan discusses how to become a travel writer without any experiences and learning how to budget and hustle as a freelance travel writer.
In this Episode:
- The feeling you get when you are doing what you love.
- The first steps to take to become a professional freelance travel writer.
- How to get into the travel writing industry without any experience.
- The biggest misconception for a travel writer.
- The fear of missing out.
- Learning to budget and hustle as a freelance travel writer.
- How to work and network with editors in big publications.
- Dealing with taxes as a freelancer.
- Why practical advice is not always the best advice to follow.
- How to create income as a freelancer.
- The importance of finding your own voice and working on your project rather than someone else’s dreams.
- The idea behind Vaera Journeys and creating a purpose project.
- The best travel and entrepreneurial resources.
- The biggest legacy Meagan wants to leave.
Listen to Meagan’s extended interview where she shares how to grow your community while creating profit.
In this episode:
- The best way to get printed or get a byline in a big publication.
- The importance of follow up.
- What to do once you get the meeting with the editor or a valuable contact.
- How to thrive as a travel writer.
- How to create extra income as a freelancer.
- How to grow your following and network through social media.
1 comment on “Ep. 22 How to budget and hustle as a freelance travel writer with Meagan Drillinger”
Where can I find the three travel commmunities that Megan recommended in the episode? I remember Travel Massive to be one, since Im are already registered there. But there were two more 🙂