Ep. 81 How travel can lead to a journey of self discovery with Anit Hora
Have you ever wondered how travel can lead to a journey of self discovery?
This week I am so excited to speak with Anit Hora who is the founder of a vegan apothecary line, Mullein & Sparrow.
Before creating her own line of luxury botanical skincare products, Anit started in fashion. Although Anit enjoyed the creative side of fashion, she realized it was not the industry she wanted to be in.
While traveling solo in South America, Anit was exposed to holistic practices that led her to study herbal medicine once she retuned from her travels.
Anit recognized the need for botanical skin care line when clients were demanding natural skincare products and makeup.
Today, Anit continues to grow her business and has recently rebranded Mullein & Sparrow.
Listen on to find out how travel lead Anit to a journey of self discovery and so much more!
In this Episode:
What made you decide to start a skin care company even though your background was in fashion?
- Anit loved fashion design and worked as a designer for 7 years.
- She realized that it was not necessarily fashion design she needed to be in but something just more creative.
- Traveling allowed Anit to realize the importance of self care and to live more slowly.
- Her travels lead to a journey of self discovery.
- Being exposed to holistic practices during her travels made her realize that she wanted to get into skin care and herbal medicine.
- Anit then studied herbal medicine so she can create interesting products that are truly natural.
Learning how to create balance in your life.
- Being busy and working can often be a badge of honor. We have to rewire our thinking and learn how to create more balance in our life.
- The more you back off, the more you make room for amazing things to happen.
What has been the biggest setback you have encountered and how do you handle them?
- Scaling and growing a business has been a tough transition for Anit’s business.
- There was a lot of learning curve, but Anit was able to navigate her way into growth.
- The beginning stage of entrepreneurship is always the hardest and can be a very lonely experience.
The time and effort it takes to start and grow a company can be extremely time consuming.
- It is hard to understand the life of an entrepreneur unless you are one yourself.
- Having a community who you can talk to is helpful.
- Travel helped Anit to a journey of self discovery.
What is the biggest lesson you have learned that you wished you knew before becoming an entrepreneur?
- It can be a very lonely road, so be ready for your business to take a toll on your personal life.
- Realizing how tough it is starting and creating a business.
- The importance of having a good team who have the same values.
- It will be hard to find someone who will work as hard as you on your dreams.
How did you find the right person to hire for your company?
- It took a lot of trial and error and learning how to interview potential employees.
What should you look for in a potential employee?
- Giving a grace period where you can observe someones work ethic.
How do you create income from your company?
- Anit has been using her own funds for the business.
- If you do have a solid business plan, it would be wise to seek outside funding or a low cost loan.
What has been your experience like as a female entrepreneur?
- Anit finds that people will underestimate her as a female entrepreneur.
- Women still get asked antiquated questions.
- It is important for women in future generations to see female entrepreneurs.
- You have choices and feel free to change your mind and learn to embrace the failures and mistakes.
What legacy would you like to leave and what do you want to be remembered for?
- Anit wants people to know that she was able to follow and reach for her dreams and goals.
What are you currently working on that is really exciting to you?
- Rebranding the company.
Click here to get the extended interview with Anit Hora on how to get the courage to be a lone traveller.