Ep. 86 How to do full time minimalist travel with a family with Jacqui New
Have you ever wondered how to do full-time minimalist travel?
This week I speak with Jacqui New who is a nomadic traveler along with her husband and two children.
Jacqui and her husband decided to sell almost all of their belongings and travel the world after leaving their 9-5.
They were able to be full-time travelers by planning for financial independence and living minimally.
Listen on to find out how to do full-time minimalist travel with a family.
In this Episode:
What were the first steps you took in order to travel full-time?
- They initially planned to be financially independent and was saving up from their 9-5 which have allowed them to
- Another turning point for them was minimalism which allowed them to prepare to carry most of their belongings in a backpack during their travels.
- Look at where you are spending your money and cut back.
How were you able to achieve this lifestyle from becoming a minimalist?
- If you are just starting, start small and make sure you are comfortable with how you are living your lifestyle.
- If you are getting rid of items, make sure that you are looking at every item to make sure that you no longer need them.
- You do not have to throw out your items, you can donate or sell in order to re-purpose.
What is the biggest setback that you have encountered and how do you usually handle them?
- Traveling too fast and quickly has been one of the setbacks they have encountered.
- It has made it hard to work, school their children and has cost them more when they are traveling quickly.
- They have decided to traveler much slower in order to have a different experience.
How were you able to choose the right location that worked best for you and your family?
- Because they are using their savings, their travels have been mainly focused on finding the cheapest flights and locations to travel.
- Moving forward they want to start choosing locations where there are people with world schoolers, digital nomads and an expat community.
The best way to find digital nomad and expat communities
- Researching and looking at facebook groups is one of the best ways to find the community you want anywhere in the world.
What is the worst advice that you have received during your travels?
- Only the exception make it in the blogging industry.
- The people who make it are the ones who work hard.
How are you able to finance and create income to live this lifestyle?
- They continue to use their savings from their 9-5 to finance travel.
- They budgeted before leaving to travel
What legacy would you like to leave and what do you want to be remembered for?
- Someone who is a free spirit and worked hard to get where they are.
What do you nerd out on?
- Jacqui nerds out on minimalism and zero waste.
- She also nerds out on online business and travel.
How has it been traveling with your children and implementing a minimal lifestyle?
- It is harder for her daughter to live with less while her son is adapting to the lifestyle much more easily.
What has been the most life-changing encounter you have ever experienced during your travels?
- Being surrounded by people who have been doing this lifestyle for a long time and learning from their experiences.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE EXTENDED INTERVIEW WITH JACQUI NEW WHERE SHE SHARES HOW TO FIND ONLINE BUSINESS COMMUNITIES WHILE TRAVELING.