Ep. 43 How to use the right skills to market as a Virtual Assistant with Sierra Dehmler
Have you ever wondered how to use the right skills to market as a Virtual Assistant?
This week I speak with Sierra Dehmler who is a freelance Virtual Assistant, Social Media manager, and the creator of the travel blog Passport Voyager.
Born and raised in California, Sierra moved across the country 10 years ago to New York City.
Before becoming a full-time freelancer, Sierra faced many obstacles to figure out what she really wanted to do with her life.
From countless health scares to recently being laid off from work, Sierra has overcome many difficulties and continues to navigate her way around a newly found opportunity to become a full-time freelancer.
Sierra has learned that opportunities come from many different places and even from negative situations.
In this episode, Sierra shares how to use the right skills to market as a Virtual Assistant and how to find life-changing opportunities in the worst situations.
In this Episode:
- How Sierra and I met through Instagram.
- Why Sierra and I are the perfect travel partners.
- How losing her job pushed Sierra to become a freelancer and to finally start the project and career she’s always wanted.
- Why sharing your struggles with others can be helpful in the long run.
- Why you should reach out to your network to look for a job.
- Having the right support is crucial to bouncing back from a setback.
- The first steps Sierra took after being laid off from her 9-5 to become a freelancer.
- How to use the right skills to market as a Virtual Assistant.
- Why you should not undervalue your skills as a freelancer.
- Sierra’s first steps to becoming a freelancer are to be honest with yourself, reach out to other people, and refocusing your energy on what’s really important.
- What makes freelance work and being an entrepreneur enticing to Sierra.
- If you have the opportunity and the drive, just go for what you want.
- Why becoming a freelancer is not as daunting as it may seem if you have the right skills and drive to succeed.
- What an average day looks like for a social media manager and virtual assistant.
- Why it is important to work on your dreams and not someone else’s.
- The biggest setback Sierra has ever encountered is having 4 surgeries in 7 months as a teenager.
- How unforeseen circumstances can push you to unexpected situations.
- Why we are not meant to do just one thing with our life.
- The worst advice Sierra has ever received was to “stick with something”.
- Why you should not waste your time if it does not make you happy or fulfilled.
- How to create income as a freelancer and how to hustle to get new clients.
- Why you should ask for help in order to lessen stress and anxiety.
- You should not block out the feelings of anxiety, or negativity- instead ask for help or share it with someone who can help you.
- What legacy Sierra wants to leave and what she wants to be remembered for.
- What Sierra nerds out on – Netflix, Target, spreadsheets, and British female-led crime shows.
Listen to Sierra’s extended interview where she shares how to use your time efficiently as a freelancer.
In this episode:
- How to structure your week to be more efficient.
- Why having visual stimulation or music can help you be more productive.
- The tools and programs to use to be more organized are: Trello– is the fun, flexible, and free way to organize plans, projects, and more. Slack– it’s where the people you need, the information you share, and the tools you use come together to get things done. Google Spreadsheets – create and edit spreadsheets online. Lightroom – photo organization, Tailwind for Pinterest scheduling, teuxdeux – to-do list.
- How to stay motivated when you feel overwhelmed.
WANT TO LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE AND BE LOCATION INDEPENDENT?
Getting TEFL certified with CIEE is your first step to doing just that! CIEE’s internationally recognized and accredited Teaching English as a Foreign Language courses will not only prepare you for the classroom; but also guide you on how to navigate a foreign culture.
Use this certification to get a teaching job abroad, or earn some extra cash teaching online. The certification never expires, so you’ll be equipped with the knowledge and certification forever.
For more information visit CIEE to start living your adventure today!
This episode is sponsored by: CIEE.org