Ep.34 How to survive and thrive in high stress and expensive settings with Venus Wong
How to survive and thrive in high-stress and expensive settings with Venus Wong.
Have you ever wondered how to survive and thrive in high-stress and expensive settings?
This week, I talked to Venus Wong who is the director of content at BenKu8 and Lifestyle contributor at Refinery29.
Venus knew from an early age that she wanted to be a journalist. Her firm determination led her to live and thrive in high stressed and fast-paced places like New York and Hong Kong.
Today is she is living in London and travels the world as a lifestyle and travel writer.
In this episode, Venus shares how to survive and thrive in high-stress and expensive settings and how to save money while living in an expensive city.
In this Episode:
- Venus’ motivation to move to the three biggest cities in the world.
- How Venus deals with set back and difficult life decisions.
- How creating lists of tasks can make decision-making much more concrete and achievable.
- How to survive and thrive in high stress and expensive settings
- What an average day looks like for a director of content.
- The difficulty of dealing with situations that are out of your control.
- Why you should always look to new possibilities even when faced with failures and setbacks.
- Looking at the patterns when you are wasting time and when you are at your most productive to learn the right work routine for you.
- Why you do not have to go to an expensive university in order to create a successful career.
- How to go to school without getting into debt.
- How to save money living in an expensive city.
- Why it’s not always a good idea to keep professional work relations purely professional only.
- Why social media is a crucial part of your professional advancement especially in a creative industry.
- Being nice and “uncool” may not make you popular, but will give you the jobs in the end.
- Why you should financially plan for the future without relying on any future combined income.
- Discussion on unpaid internships
- Venus’s most profound meeting during her travels.
Listen to Venus’ extended interview where she shares how to get published in Magazines and big publications.
In this episode:
- How to pitch to a magazine publication.
- Take advantage of your location and how you can pitch as a local expert instead of a tourist in a new destination.
- The importance of video and why you should learn how to create them to stand out.
- How to prioritize self-care to lessen anxiety and stress.