How to Create Digital Products to Earn Passive Income
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
If you’re here, it’s because you are ready to learn how to create digital products.
But the problem is, you don’t know how to get started.
In order to sell digital product online, you have to not only understand how to create them, but also learn how to sell ideas online, which means marketing!
If we just lost you, don’t worry, you’re not alone. We felt the same when we started.
That is why we are sharing our top tips on how to create information products that will sell and allow you to create passive income from anywhere.
- How To Sell On Depop: Beginner’s Guide
- Step-By-Step Guide To Becoming Successful Online Consultants
- 50 Quotes About Boss Ladies To Inspire Success
- How To Start an Online Fitness Coaching Business
- 25 Best Online Business Ideas for Women
What is a digital product?
Before we get to the good stuff… let’s talk about what is a digital product?
The simple answer is, they are downloadable online content and not physical products.
So anyone with a computer and internet can access the files.
A few examples are: e-books, templates, and e-courses.
Here are the pros of creating a digital product:
- You do not have to worry about shipping items
- You do not have to handle physical returns
- No need to worry about storing any of the items
- No need to spend money on inventory
- You can make changes to products at any time
- Once you market and complete your digital content creation it can become completely passive.
Creating a digital product rather than a physical item will also allow you to get started with no money down.
That is why many entrepreneurs are choosing to sell digital products online rather than opening a brick and mortar store.
How to Create Digital Products: 5 Ways to successfully Sell Ideas Online
1. Solve a Recurring Problem that Your Audience is Facing
In order to sell digital products online you need to understand your audience’s pain points and solve them by creating the item that answers their needs.
Having a thorough understanding means connecting and engaging with your readers, viewers and listeners.
Because even if you have the best digital product ideas on earth, it will not matter if you are not providing the right solution.
A few sample questions that you can ask are:
- If you could ask me to solve one issue with ______ what would it be and why?
This question will allow you to narrow down the biggest concerns they are currently facing.
Who knows, maybe you’ll even find similar problems that your audience are currently facing that will help you create all the content you need for your digital product.
- Would you buy a digital product that helped you solve _______?
The answer to this question does not mean the individual will actually buy, however it will help you gauge if there is interest in the product that you are planning to sell.
Once you have received feedback (ideally around 50-100 responses) from your first survey, gather that information and narrow your niche down even more.
Then create another survey and ask more detailed questions about what you will be adding into your digital content creation.
Having the feedback will allow you to provide them with 3-5 different product ideas and in return they will share what they think of these resources.
A few follow up question examples could include:
- I am thinking of creating this digital product about_____. What would be a great title that will catch your eye?
- How would you like to receive the information (video, audio, e-book)?
- What is more important to you when you are purchasing a digital product? The price, having the most comprehensive information, or the convenience?
Don’t be afraid to be honest with your audience. Let them know what you are planning to do and how you would like them to be a part of it.
This will encourage them to give you more details and will most likely be willing to give honest feedback on what they want to receive.
It can be a tedious task to find digital products that sell, however doing your market research will allow you to get the right answers you need to be successful.
2. Organize your Digital Product Content
Once you have collected feedback from your ideal audience on how to create information products that sell, it is time to get organized.
This can be a bit tricky, but made easier if you did your market research properly.
Having comprehensive information will allow you to have a better understanding of how to format and what type of content to add in your product.
The first step to organizing your content is choosing the right format for you.
Will it be through:
- An online course: which is information that can be accessed through a password protected website and can be learned from anywhere.
Course creators can decide to create video, written content, audio or all of the above to share their information and expertise to their students.
Their students typically have lifetime access to the information and can learn at their own pace.
- An E-book: is a non editable book that can be read on any digital device such as your phone, e-reader, and websites. It can also be downloadable and printed by the purchaser.
- Templates: are files that are created via Photoshop, Canva, Illustrator and any other platforms where you can create marketing products and allow your purchaser to easily change out the logo, copy and background.
Some digital product sellers also create calendars, todo lists, forms and more.
- An email course: which are a series of lessons given via emails over a period of time.
The wonderful thing about creating an email course is that once you set up an email sequence from email platforms like flodesk, which make the process easy and manageable, you do not need to purchase anything else.
Making this an affordable digital product option for many course creators.
With so many different options, it can be difficult and confusing to figure everything out on your own.
That is why getting help from successful course creators and being a part of a community will help fast track your progress and allow you to get feedback from experts that you may not find anywhere else.
We recommend Molly Ho’s membership program “Keep Getting Paid” which will help you get consistent 4-figure months with digital products.
What we love about the Keep Getting Paid Membership:
- The comprehensive video training that will help guide you to create the most profitable digital products which includes mindset, branding, product suite, attraction marketing, sales, and productivity system.
- The monthly events and coaching calls that will allow you to stay on track and have accountability from the group and the founder.
- The affordability. At $97 a month it is a steal! We have personally taken courses and coaching that were 4-5 figures that was equivalent to what Molly is providing her membership clients!
If you are ready to stop looking for the “right” answers and start receiving information from an online entrepreneur who has successfully created income from her digital products, then join the “Keep Getting Paid” Membership.
3. Test and Revise Your Digital Products
One of the most crucial things about creating a digital product is being able to get feedback from your ideal clients.
That is why getting beta testers is a must for the success of your product.
For digital products to sell online you may need 10-20 testers to get enough responses for your content.
A few ways you can obtain these individuals is by:
- Doing a call to action with your most active community whether it’s through social media, website, podcast or others.
- Letting your email subscribers know.
- Joining other communities online like relevant facebook groups, clubhouse rooms and then asking members to participate.
Once you have found the right people to test your digital products, you can give them access to your content in exchange for filling out a survey and providing you with a review.
By asking them to fill out your survey you are trying to find out:
- If the content is clear and concise
- If the content has covered relevant topics that they needed
- What type of price you should be charging
- What changes should be made and any other honest review
Always remind your testers to provide you with honest feedback, if need be, provide them with an option to become anonymous.
Otherwise, some will only give you responses that they think you may want to hear.
4. Finding the Right Digital Product Selling Platform
Whether you are selling an e-course, templates or e-book, you will need the right platform to sell them so that your customers will be able to access them easily.
In order to find the right platform, you have to make sure that they are able to provide you with the right services.
For example, if you are selling an e-course, you will need to create a high converting sales page.
We recommend using SamCart, we personally use their services and love the ease of use and reliable customer support.
What is Sam Cart?
They are a digital product e-commerce platform that helps you start selling your digital products or online services.
Not only do they make it easy for you to create sales pages for your products but they also help you boost your sales, so that you can run your business worry free.
What we love about SamCart:
- You can sell almost any digital products using their platform such as online courses, membership sites, coaching, e-books, templates and more!
- Customizable and built-in templates to share and sell your products.
- Easily shareable links that will allow you to link your page to socials and other platforms.
- They offer built-in upsells, split testing, order management and more so that you are able to scale up and create more income opportunities.
- They include automated subscriptions, abandoned cart recovery, and so much more!
Right now SamCart is offering a 14 day free trial to their services, so make sure to take advantage of this opportunity to see if their platform is right for you before you sign up!
Another platform that we highly recommend is Kartra. We love Kartra because it is an all in one platform that will not only allow you to create your sales page, but it will also host your content.
This means it is a one-stop shop for all of your digital product selling needs.
What we love about Kartra:
- They are able to integrate everything that you need for your digital products and online services. All of their individual sections are woven together so everything is seamless.
- Their platform is geared for both beginners and professionals. So whether you need pre-made templates or customizable options, they have it for you.
- They have a reliable and fast customer support team.
- The services they have available are endless, from creating funnels, campaigns, emails, memberships, videos, and so much more!
Kartra is truly the ultimate all-in-one platform for you to get started selling your information products.
Both SamCart and Kartra are great platforms to use when you are ready to sell digital products online.
We highly recommend SamCart if you already have other service platforms to host your products, but need an incredible sales landing page for your content.
However, if you are starting from scratch and need an all-in-one service. Kartra is a great platform to join.
They have everything you need in one spot and are also great for beginners and pros alike.
But either way, we love both platforms and you can’t go wrong with either one.
5. Market and Sell Your Digital Products.
Now that you have created your product, beta tested your content and found the right selling platform.
It is time to market and sell your information products.
Without creating an effective marketing strategy, all of your hard work will go to waste!
Because let’s face it, if no one knows about your product, you won’t be able to sell them.
That is why marketing is one of the most crucial parts of selling information products.
Here are a few successful marketing strategies that will help you promote your content.
Do a Pre-Launch Promotion
In order to spread the word, you must create the hype. That is why creating a pre-launch promotion is a great way to call attention to your product.
Here are a few ways you can do it:
*Run a contest: people love and get excited over the possibility of winning something that they love. Allow them to find out more about your product and why they need to have it.
This is also a great way to build excitement and collect potential buyers even after the contest is finished.
*Get Social: do teasers of your product weeks before your launch so you can continually build excitement. Encourage them to like and share with their own audience so that you can spread the word.
Build a Launch Team
Want a ton of reviews and social proof before you even launch your digital product?
Gather up a launch team that will provide you with reviews for your content and start sharing their reactions on social media.
Ask your launch team to take videos and pictures of them with your product!
Then send these glowing reviews to your followers on social, your email list, create a blog post and podcast episodes surrounding the raving reviews.
This will allow you to provide social proof that will catapult your product to success before you even launch your product!
Creating information products will make passive income possible
I know you hear this all the time, but we’ll mention it again…
You CAN make passive income by selling digital products online.
It isn’t a pipe dream and it is not unreachable.
You can earn income without constantly hustling for that dollar, and creating a digital product can be a great way to achieve a freedom lifestyle goal.
Don’t get us wrong, it is not easy but once you have guidance from an expert and do your own due diligence, it can happen!