How to Start an Online Reselling Business
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
If you’re like us, you love treasure hunting for new and old items that are one of a kind. But did you know that you can turn that love into a legit online reselling business?
Becoming a reseller is no longer just for thrift store lovers and antique collectors, now there are a ton of opportunities for you to choose from to turn your “trash” into cash!
Now you can become an online reseller by finding high-end goods like brand-name fashion that will help others keep up with the latest trends without breaking the bank.
If you’re not interested in fashion, no worries. You can find resellers online that are listing beauty products, home and garden, gaming and so much more. With so many options to choose from, we are sure you will find the right products.
Not only has this online business exploded but so has the demand. More and more people are realizing that it is much more cost-efficient to buy second-hand items, and it is also better for the environment.
So if you are ready to get started, we have found the best platforms to post your listings.
- 13 Common Mistakes Most Amateur Bloggers Make
- Ultimate Guide to Starting and Making Money as a Sex Blogger
- 7 Best Sites to Sell Your Home Crafter Goods
- How to Start an Online Reselling Business
- Ultimate Guide on How to Make Money On OnlyFans
What does it mean to resell and why should you start?
Essentially reselling means you are selling something that you have bought or used to someone else. When you decide to start this online business, you are buying goods and marking them up to your customers.
Becoming a reseller is a great option for individuals who want to easily source different products at a lower cost, and it is great for individuals who do not want the hassle of creating their own products.
Becoming a reseller also means that you will have a lot of options with the products you can sell. From jewelry, clothing, furniture, antiques, gaming, and more, you won’t run out of finding new items to sell!
It is only a matter of figuring out what your customers want and finding the products for them!
How do you become an online reseller?
Unlike other eCommerce businesses, becoming a reseller is a lot less involved, meaning there is no production time to your process and you do not necessarily have to deal with vendors.
By eliminating this process, you will save a lot of time, and launching your shop will be a lot faster! However, you will still need to take the right steps in order to become successful, and below are the steps you need to take before you start your online business.
Find your niche. Like any business, you will need to find the right niche before you can sell. It is best to start selling products that you are knowledgeable about and in high demand. This will allow you to identify the deals and quality.
Where to find your items. Even if you find the right niche, your business will not take off if you do not know where to source them. Depending on the items you are selling, you may find your items in thrift stores, real estate sales, Facebook marketplace, and even Craigslist.
You can also try finding sales in discounted retailers like Target, TJMaxx, Ross, Marshalls, and Nordstrom Rack. And if you are lacking cash, you can always look at home and in your closet to see if there are any items you can sell.
How to price your goods. Every product is different so you must do your research. Many online reselling products are priced by comparing what has been sold and what is currently being sold. So you will need to look at the platform that your items are being sold in and find out how other resellers are pricing their items.
Where should you start selling your items?
Now that you have an idea of how to get started as an online reseller, it is time to figure out which platforms are the best to list your items.
Below are some of the most reliable and popular online eCommerce sites and apps you can choose to start an online reselling business:
eBay If you are not familiar with eBay, they are one of the top online marketplaces to start selling new and second-hand goods. One of the perks of signing up for eBay is that you have the option of auctioning or providing a set price to your items. You can find more information on how to start an online business with eBay here.
Etsy is known for its handmade and crafted items. This is the perfect place to sell second-hand goods and one-of-a-kind items you create or find. Sign up and get started with your own Etsy shop. If you need more info, we have created an ultimate list of Etsy best sellers here.
Depop is a great app to use if you want to start selling unique fashion. Most of the visitors and buyers in the app are gen z who love retro fashion, so if you have any vintage collections still sitting in your closet that you no longer want, then Depop will be the best place to list them.
Poshmark is a great app to sell your items if you have a ton of things in your closet that you want to get rid of! It is a simple app that you can sign up for and start listing in a matter of minutes. We have provided a comprehensive guide on how to start selling like a pro on Poshmark that you should check out!
Estatesales.net is a great site to use if you have a lot of items to list, you can list a sale and your potential buyer will be able to find you via your zip code, city, or item. You will also have an opportunity to share images of the items, and the more photos you share the more buyers you will attract.
Amazon is one of the biggest eCommerce marketplaces, which means you will have more opportunities to sell your items. However, due to its large inventory of goods, it will also mean that you will have more competition. That is why you will need to be able to do more research on what you will decide to resell.
In order to make this research process easier, we recommend using either AMZScout or Jungle Scout which are the best Amazon product search tools that will help you find the most in-demand items. By using these tools, you will be able to find the best things to sell on Amazon FBA without having to guess.
What should you sell?
Once you have decided on which platforms to start your online business, it is time to figure out what to sell!
Below are some of the best-selling items that you can list to make extra or full-time income in your own eCommerce store.
But keep in mind that you will need to do more research for your niche and for the specific platform where you will be listing your products.
- Furniture. Selling furniture is one of the most profitable ways to get started, you can always look at the items around your house that you want to get rid of, or you can go around bargain hunting in estate sales, thrift stores or even craigslist. There are a lot of people always looking to buy furniture and second-hand items are more affordable. Also, if you are selling high quality, then it will be taken off your hands a lot faster.
- Vintage Clothes. With vintage items and clothing always popular, you will have a ton of customers to take them off your hands. Whether your buyers want to purchase trendy items or just save on brand names, there’s always going to be a market for vintage clothing.
- Baby and Children Items. Selling baby and children’s products are always popular because they are often very expensive to buy retail. If you have items in good condition, you won’t have any shortages of buyers. For budget conscious parents this will be extremely helpful. Some popular items you can sell are clothes, toys, strollers, cribs, and more.
- Collectable Jewelry. One of the best items to start selling online are vintage and collectable jewelry. This is one of the products where you will need to do a bit of research in order to find the best items to sell. You will find that there are many fake items that are close to the real deal, so make sure to educate yourself on the collectibles before you start listing.
- Video Games. Did you know that people are collecting vintage and newer video games and are willing to pay top dollar? If you have an interest and know which video games are in demand, you will surely find the right items to become an online reseller.
Resources to help you start an online reselling business
Before you get started here are a few resources that you will need to point you in the right direction:
Beginner’s Guide To Selling On Ebay: The Ultimate Reselling Guide for How To Source, List & Ship Items for Profit Online
Reseller Inventory Log Book: Fast And Easy System To Keep Track Of Your Inventory Items. Made for Online Sellers on eBay, Poshmark, Mercari, Marketplace and More!
The Complete Guide to Buying at Garage, Yard, and Estate Sales and Selling Online for Fun and Profit
Thrift Store Reselling Secrets You Wish You Knew: 50 Different Items You Can Buy At Thrift Stores And Sell On eBay And Amazon For Huge Profit
Whether you are looking to earn extra income or to make this into a full-time business, there are plenty of products to choose from. And once you find the right niche, you will have a better chance to succeed.
But remember, you must always do your research in order to find the right products to resell. It’s also a great idea not to be emotionally attached to the items that you’d like to sell so you can make the right decisions.
Now that you have an idea of how to start working online reselling products, it’s time to go out there and find the right items for you!